Thursday, September 29, 2011

Moving on to Larger Pets

Hamsters are not very reliable pets. They are vulnerable to death too easily. My family has gone through eleven hamsters because they all ended up getting sick and dying. Hamsters are prone to a disease called wet-tail which basically, apologies for being blunt, diarrhea. So, if one has it in the cage at the pet store, they all have it because they share the same waterbottle.
I am not saying I hate hamsters, but after awhile and after they keep dying, it should be clear it is time for a new pet. I can remember that one of our hamsters ran on its wheel ALL night and was dead the next morning. They didn't have one in the pen at the store, and he was obviously very exctied to have one....although the excitement cost him his little life.
Eventually we did get a cat and love having one. His name is Pooter and he is very adorable. He gets into trouble often, but he is just a young wee lad. Pooter loves to sleep on Mama's lap in the evenings and to play. He has toy that is a fish on a string and we play for a good while with it.
All in all, cats are definitely able a more reliable pet.

1 comment:

  1. Cute cat! We had a hamster at one time. I agree they're not great pets! I'm not a cat person, but Pooter looks like a playful guy. I'm sure you're having fun with him!

    ReplyDelete