Monday, September 5, 2011

Gymnastics

 There is nothing like accomplishing something hard or challenging. In fact, I enjoy a good challenge! I did gymnastics for roughly three years at the Wilson School of Gymnastics and Dance. A good friend of mine, Abi Van Kampen, told me about it and my mom and I looked into it. I was super excited because two of my cousins were gymnasts at Penn State and I wanted to be just like them!
I started out in the fifty minute class, but soon discovered that it was too easy and the kids in it were a lot younger then I. Mom switched me to the two hour class and I stay in that one for most of my gymnastics career. I didn’t compete but had intensive training and let me tell you, I definitely got a good workout. The coaches worked us hard on flexibility and I can still do a split!
My favorite thing about gymnastics was whenever I accomplished a really difficult skill such as a tuck jump or a handstand flat back. I would go home and email my cousin Allen, telling him what I did that night. I think he enjoyed hearing about how my gymnastics was going.
Like any sport, injuries can happen. I sprained my wrist doing a skill and then re-injured it three times because I kept going back to practice. The recovery took awhile and I absolutely hated wearing a brace on my wrist for a few months. I was able to return to gymnastics the following season and got right back into it. I still have some trouble with that hand and even got tendonitis, which thankfully went away.
I miss gymnastics a lot but am thankful for the opportunity to do the sport and to be a gymnast for three short years
.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think you will ever get back into it? I'm guessing that once you leave the sport at this age, you will probably not be able to compete in college. Am I right? But, could you go back to just doing it for fun? Or is it too competitive?

    I am always impressed by gymnasts. I enjoyed doing very simple gymnastics in high school and am amazed what can be accomplished. I'm sure it was rewarding to do these routines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would get back into it. I still do stretching at home and handstands though. Even with the training I had I wouldn't be able to compete in college because to do that you have to start training at a very young age. If I had the opportunity to go back, I think I would.

    ReplyDelete