Thursday, October 6, 2011

In Memory of the Crocodile Hunter

When I was little I can remember watching the show The Crocodile Hunter. He was a hero of mine and really did so much to help animals. Many may remember Steve for his daring feeding of the crocodiles and wrestling with poison snakes, but I remember him for his love on animals.
Steve ran the Australia Zoo and family still does today. He loved feeding the crocs and most importantly teaching others about the beauty of animals. He taught people this through his TV show: The Crocodile Hunter.
Steve died on September 4th 2006 while filming his own documentary called Ocean's Deadliest. He was swimming with some stingrays and recived a fatal blow to the chest as a result from the barb on the end of the stingray's tale. He pulled it out his chest and some medical folk say that this may have hastened his death.
Steve was a hero of mine and when I heard he died I was very very sad. My sister came over to me and told me that he was dead and I thought he was joking, but when I saw it on the computer downstairs, I knew it was true. It was a sad day that day and world lost a man of courage and someone who cared about all creatures.
I think he's one of the people that I got my love of animals from. I would watch his show all the time at my grandmother's (we only got Animal Planet and my house until I was like 7) and really learned to care about animals...even crocs and snakes.
 

In loving memory.

1 comment:

  1. He was well-known and I'm sure has made a contribution to people's awareness of animals. It's nice that his family carries on with the zoo.

    ReplyDelete