Thursday, March 1, 2012

Girl in the storm

Yes, I am all wet. Hence the puddle gathering around my feet. I got drenched in the storm that is raging outside our manor house. I live here in Yorkshire, England with my papa, momma and three older brothers. It rains quite frequently and I happened to get caught in it tonight. I was looking of the window of the library and thought I saw a little girl standing out in the rain. She looked to be five or six years old and was wearing a white party dress from 1919. I thought it odd that a little girl was out in the rain alone, so I decided to go and investigate. After pulling on my boots, hat and coat, I ventured out. I saw the girl standing a ways off and called, "Hello?" She turned and made her way off into the night as the thunder clashed overhead and the lightning flashed. The darkness swallowed her up and it appeared as though she had...vanished. Then I heard my oldest brother, Anton, call out to me, "Rosie, what in the blazes are you doing out there?"
I ran back inside and told him, "I saw a wee girl out there!"
"Oh sure you did," he said skeptically, taking my hat and coat from me. "Forget it, Rosie."
So that is how I got drenched in the storm.
And no one believes me.
But as I climbed the grand staircase, I know I saw her again, a gleam of white against  the darkness. 

Highclere Castle in Yorkshire, England

1 comment:

  1. I think you have the beginning of a longer story. See where it takes you! I also like the castle that you added with it. What would it have been like to live there?

    ReplyDelete